In June I wrote a little bit about being thankful. I think I need to revisit that state of mind! I got an email from Panera Bread about a contest entitled ”What We’re Thankful For” (http://www.facebook.com/panerabread?v=app_272143752885090). Perfect timing!
So here are a handful of things for which I’m thankful:
1) Pomegranate Margaritas with my sister-in-law, Elisabeth, at Ortega’s in Hillcrest (
). I love that I have a sis-in-law that wants to try new food and new restaurants. Before she left Cleveland, she did some research and read about this place. It’s in my neighborhood, but I had never been inside. I wasn’t super crazy about their carnitas, but I will return to sit outside, have a Pomegranate Margarita and some of their tasty chips and salsa. I snagged a taste of Liz’s Chicken Verde Enchiladas, something I don’t usually order, and it was really tasty. I think the star of this restaurant is the salsa! Ohhh, I almost forgot! They have killer flour tortillas. I wanted to wrap myself in one – a nice, warm, soft, tortilla blanket!
2) Going Downtown and checking out the Sand Castle Competition with my mother-in-law, Elisabeth and my husband. My father-in-law couldn’t understand why we wanted to do this, so he opted to sit on a bench under some trees where he met some very interesting people. I’ll pass on telling that story! It only took us about an hour or so to walk through the event, but it was so nice to be near the water and out in such nice weather!
3) Taking another tour at Suzie’s Farm! Our tour guide this time was Eric, aka “Chicken Man”. Eric is in charge of the animals on the farm. Currently, they only have chickens, but that may change soon. I can’t wait for them to get goats!!! He told us about the 30 different breeds of chickens they have – some are on the endangered list. The birds are used for 2 reasons: eggs and to help cultivate the ground. Being out on the farm is always so relaxing, and I walked away with lots of veggie loot!
4) Getting a sprinkler system installed!!! Woohoo! You have no idea how excited I am!! It deserves a second “Woo-hoo”!!
5) That my in-laws, visiting from Cleveland, Ohio, took a brief trip to Vegas so I have time to clean, recuperate and be able to write something for this blog. The day before they left for Vegas, we had a plumbing issue. Never a good thing. A big THANKS goes out to South Bay Rooter! Thanks, Dave. Not only did he quickly assess and correct the problem, the bill was very fair. Greatly appreciated!!
6) That we can celebrate Franz’s parents’ 50th Wedding Anniversary. The official date was back in June, so Franz and I decided that we would have to celebrate with them once they got out here. Later this week, the whole gang will head over to Kaiserhof Restaurant & Biergarten (http://www.kaiserhofrestaurant.com/) to celebrate in the appropriate German style: large pretzels, steins of Paulaner or Hacker Pshorr (which my Dad-in-Law just corrected me the other day because I wasn’t pronouncing the “P” in Pshorr. Keeping me on track!!), and bratwurst.
7) That I don’t live too close to the best donut shop, but close enough to go every so often!
8) For my littlest man in the world, Monsieur.
9) That my Dad is able to come out to San Diego for a visit this month!
10) For the delicious Thomcord grapes Elisabeth bought at Trader Joe’s the other day! They are a hybrid of Thompson and Concord. Yummy!!! Go and buy some!!! They will make you smile! (I’m eating them right now and smiling!!)
What are you thankful for this week? Let me know!
Take Care and Happy Eating!